Total Pageviews

Monday, July 18, 2011

Inspired by the tides

Some of you will recognize one of my favorites places, E. Boothbay, Maine, in the background.  I am happy to tell you that I did find inspiration sitting on the deck and watching the tides, or more specifically, watching what happens to the boats in the bay when the tides shift. 

I brought very little fabric on vacation last week, a few Japanese-looking cotton fabrics and some tone-on-tone white stripes.  Watching the boats swing around and shift direction with the tides seemed linear, organized and yet still had a sweeping motion.  I'm not sure anyone looking at this work in progress would make that connection, but it certainly helped me to see these fabrics in a different way.


I used rotary templates to cut out both pieces of the blocks and then sewed the curved pieces without pinning anything.  My Singer 221 Featherweight and slow stitching did a marvelous job!

I'll share more photos of this when I have borders in place. 

In the meantime, I hope you all find something inspiring to help you enjoy today!

2 comments:

Wanda - Scraphappy Blended Quilter said...

This really looks great! What nice use of fabric to get texture and movement. Very simple yet elegant look.

Mary Couch said...

The colors are stunning the way they work together. This is a very dressy, classy combo!
Hugs from Mary