Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Cats, Quilts and Excuses

Is the fact that this is one of Casper's favorite spots to take a nap any excuse to not finish it?  This quilt was started a few years ago (more than I'd like to admit publically) and is done except for hand-sewing the remaining unfinished portion the binding. 

The truth is that I put off finishing projects unless there is a reason to finish them.  My quilts seem to need a purpose to be finished.  Until they have a destination or intended recipient, they linger.  I  like to say I 'live with them for a while' until I know where they belong.  Working improvisationally is exciting and interesting.  There are lots of decisions and trials, experiments, auditioning.  Once all the decisions are made and I can see the finished product, I'd rather be designing again.

The upside in working this way is that there is always something constructive to do at any stage in the process of quilt-making.  If the mood strikes me to do simple piecing, there's a project that needs piecing. If quilting is what I want to do, I can pull out a quilt top that needs quilting.  If I need a take-along project, applique is very portable. 

These may be excuses, but they work for me.  And I have the finished quilts to prove it!

2 comments:

jtquilts said...

One of my excuses is that when I get near the end I slow down to 'savor' the process....especially when it is a quilt for someone special and I spend the time thinking and praying for them!

Wanda - Scraphappy Blended Quilter said...

You explained "the situation" so elegantly! Very nice! Wish I was there to whip that binding down. You know, I could even do it in the car on the way to somewhere...It is SO much fun to collaborate with someone else on their project!