Total Pageviews

Friday, November 26, 2010

Gifts


It's the day after Thanksgiving, when large retailers with a penchant for falling prices and smiley faces would have us up before the crack of dawn enticed by sales on just about everything.  It's outrageous encouragement to buy more stuff, perhaps using a credit card, in the hopes that it makes us happy.  Here's an interesting link about The Story of Stuff, something worth viewing before heading out to the store:  http://www.storyofstuff.com/

I think about the things that I either use all the time or enjoy having or using very much - things I'd really miss if I didn't have them - things that would affect how I live, how I enjoy life.  Stuff doesn't make me happy.  What I do with stuff, how I share it and use it may make me happy and it usually involves  action on my part or interaction with others.  My trusty little 1944 Singer Featherweight sewing machine brings me much enjoyment.  It is even more enjoyable to use when I'm working with friends. I appreciate the design and simplicity of it, the sound it makes, it's consistently solid stitch, it's compact but powerful motor and the fact that I can maintain and repair it.

Quilting is seldom about the quilt itself.  It's about the creative process and ultimately the quilt's usefulness; as a gift on a special occasion, to bring comfort, as a gesture of appreciation, caring and love, or as a piece of art.  Most often, the value of a quilt to the maker is intrinsic. Hopefully, the recipient of a quilt understands the love that goes into the making of it; each stitch, each choice, each hour of work, and receives the full intended benefit. 

Here are some pictures of a quilt made for Kelly's professor at UNH, Dr. Jo Daniel, who is expecting a baby in December.   We wish her and her family much joy and thank her for her commitment to her students.


In the process of quilting.  1920's reproduction fabrics.

Kelly and the finished baby quilt.

1 comment:

Diane said...

Thanks for sharing the piece about "stuff". Sometimes I wonder if it will ever end---the insane drive to consume more and the constant 'addiction' to have the latest of whatever that promises people happiness and fulfillment. I witnessed young children, age 6, demanding that their parents buy such and such for them for Christmas. The tone was one of entitlement. The reaction of the parent was what really shocked me. It was as though the child (two of them in this case) was the one in control and calling the shots. I happen to know that this parent cannot afford the toys and electronics these little guys are demanding. However, this parent vows to get it for them one way or another. So sad. All around, just so sad. Anyway, thanks for sharing, and I do enjoy your blog as well.